Lent

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent and occurs forty-six days (forty days not counting Sundays) before Easter.
Ash Wednesday gets its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of the faithful as a sign of repentance. The ashes used are gathered after the Palm Crosses from the previous year's Palm Sunday are burned. In some churches, the ashes are mixed with the Oil. This paste is used by the priest who presides at the service to make the sign of the cross, first upon his own forehead and then on each of those present who kneel before him at the altar rail. As he does so, he recites the words: "Remember (O man) that you are dust, and to dust you shall return"

Im going to try give up bread which I think Im actually being ridiculous by giving up the most divine thing on earth but I cant think of anything else, Ive already given up on alcohol and cigarettes hehe so its the one nice thing left and I definitely cant do chocolate so wish me luck!!

Jesus, I contemplate Your cross of suffering and humiliation where You, though sinless and holy, died in my place. Though the onlookers scoffed You, the religious sect persecuted You, and the curious were indifferent to Your martyrdom, You willingly surrendered Your broken and tattered body on the cross as a substitute for my sins. As You shamelessly died for me, I want to unashamedly live for You. Amen.

Popular Posts